Monday, June 11, 2012

Do I Take Things Too Literally?

When people tell me they are going to do something, I expect them to do it.  I expect them to do it when they say they will do it, and I expect if they are unable to do it that they will contact me and tell me they are NOT going to do it.  They should either explain why they cannot do it, or they should give a new date by when they will do it.  I don't care if it is returning a phone call, following up on a service request, scheduling an appointment, providing information, or anything else; it matters not if they think their commitment is mundane.  It is NOT mundane to me.  Phone calls should be returned within the same day whenever possible or at least within 24 hours.  Follow-up is crucial so they should not drop the ball and never get back to their customers or clients.  Connecting the dots and using common sense should be requirements for all persons who holds jobs.  If they are unable to use their common sense or to connect the dots to see a conclusion based on their actions or lack thereof, then the people employing them should provide training to them and require that they not be too lazy to practice what they are taught.  We are
becoming a nation drowning in incompetence, ineptness, apathy, and even downright ignorance.  How did this happen to America?  Even in professions as crucial as healthcare, a doctor recently told me that he is increasingly frustrated because it seems no one has passion for their work anymore.  He said they just want to put in their shift hours, get their money and go home, and they really do not care about the patients.  Needless to say, as I face my upcoming surgery I hope I do not end up on the hospital floor where those types are.  A sad commentary on the times in which we are living!

No comments:

Post a Comment