Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Handmade Gifts To Be Treasured

It has been my good fortune in life to know many people who are creative and able to make lovely things.  I had childhood friends who were gifted, and I have adult friends whose talents are amazing.  When a person takes time to create something special and then bestows it on me as a gift, I am truly touched.  My daughter is one of those people.  She is creative, thoughtful, a perfectionist and has given me some of my most beautiful and favorite gifts.

One of the many things she thoroughly enjoys is making gift baskets.  Because she is thoughtful she selects each item with great care and is able to produce themed baskets geared perfectly to the recipient.  During the 2012 Christmas season she designed and produced a beautiful basket to give to a cousin.  The basket theme was Audrey Hepburn, Paris and the film Breakfast at Tiffany's.  Both she and her cousin are avid fans of Audrey Hepburn, Paris, and Breakfast at Tiffany's (as well as Sabrina and Roman Holiday).

I watched my daughter assemble the carefully chosen items, and she gave equal time and attention to selecting the best basket in terms of shape and size.  She purchased specific fabric to line the basket and asked me to make the liner which I was happy to do for her (it gave me a chance to learn how to make basket liners since I had never before sewn one).  She made pink marshmallows to go along with pink hot chocolate and a special mug she created.  She baked and decorated cookies in the shapes of a French Poodle, the Eiffel Tower, and a fleur-de-lis.  She placed them in glassine bags tied with small ribbon bows.   From the color coordination of shredded paper nestling the gift items to pink M & M's, pink icing on the cookies to beautiful  ribbon encircling the basket she gave meticulous attention to every detail.

The gift basket was a beautiful gift and much appreciated by her cousin.  Truth be told, I have always really liked gift baskets so the temptation to not let it leave my house was strong..........but I am content with
this photograph and the knowledge that I have a talented, generous daughter who creates beautiful gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment