Monday, July 1, 2013

ARE YOU A CONTROLLING PERSON? CHANGING YOUR LIFE WITH WORDS - DAY 43

A number of years ago I had to face the facts that not only was I a co-dependent person but also turning into a control freak.  I read somewhere that the more out of control our lives become the more we try to control everyone and everything around us.  Over time I learned that the only person you can change is yourself and that, in truth, there is very little one can control in life.  Life is going to happen to us and the people we love no matter what.

I have had a wonderful friend for 52+ years who has now been sober 28 years.  He finally had to decide to change himself for himself and not for anyone else, and he was very successful after a few false starts.  He taught me this prayer which they say in all meetings of Alcoholics Anonymous:

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.

Even if you are not a believer , this is great advice filled with words to live by.  Thinking this way has helped me to go through many, many things and relieved me of so much stress and anxiety.  

So if there are things or relationships in your life that you want to change and you can, then go for it.  However, if there are things or relationships you cannot change then follow today's message which is:

LET IT BE!






No comments:

Post a Comment