Monday, April 25, 2011

My UFO's

Several years ago I joined a quilt guild, and some of the women referred to their "UFO's" which prompted me to ask what the term meant to them. Seems like lots of people start projects and don't finish them so they started referring to them as "UFO's" or unfinished objects. I immediately adopted the term for my very own use because there was a time in my life when I could have been the Queen of UFO's. When my son and daughter were 5 and 3 years old respectively, we moved to Dallas where my husband's job involved lots of travel. I decided it would be a good time to get back to knitting so off I went to the local yarn store. I purchased skeins of lovely pink and white yarns, needles and a knitting pattern book. My plan was to make an oh-so-cute pink and white striped, sleeveless, turtleneck shell for my daughter. I mean, how hard could it be since the front and the back were identical and there were few seams to sew? I started it, got bored, stopped, re-started numerous times and finally finished both pieces. Did I ever sew the pieces together? Not for quite awhile, and by the time I got around to doing it my daughter had outgrown the size shell I had knitted .......so I unraveled the front and the back, rewound the yarn, and planned to start a new shell in a larger size. I am embarrassed to tell you that this happened two more times. For some reason I could not make myself finish that shell, and she would continue to grow. The yarn finally was looking worse for wear having been knitted and unraveled several times. Fast forward to the time when I decided to start my online business selling handmade clothing and accessories for babies and toddlers. Understandably, my daughter was doubtful that I would actually finish the garments I planned to knit for the shop. She has been pleasantly surprised that I indeed do knit and finish garments on a timely basis. Recently I dug out that old pattern book and looked at the pictures of the shell I never finished for her. I have learned a lot more about knitting in the years since I first attempted that shell so maybe, just maybe, I will make a larger version of that pink and white shell to give her as a surprise on some special occasion. Good idea?

No comments:

Post a Comment