Sunday, March 18, 2012

When Things Turn Out As Hoped

Yesterday I had a luncheon for a neighbor who lives here in the desert only six months of the year. Then she returns to her primary residence in another state to escape the 100+ degree temperatures of our desert summers. This gathering was special because my neighbor is 92 years old, and we are not certain she will be able to return to us in the Fall. I made sure the table setting was pretty because she appreciates those touches and was a wonderful hostess in her day. Cooking for guests makes me nervous because I cannot be confident that everything will turn out as it should. When it does it is cause for great relief on my part. I made her favorite Hawaiian Chicken Salad served with cantaloupe slices, watermelon wedges, huge strawberries and piping hot croissants. I made creme brulee for dessert which is also one of her favorites. The weather was beautiful so my doors and windows were open; conversation and laughter flowed freely; spring flowers from other neighbors' gardens provided spectacular colors and fragrances; and she was reminded of how much she is loved and will be missed by all of us. Our prayer is that she will remain healthy enough to come back to us in October for another six months, but life is fragile and can change in an instant so we will hold our collective breaths as we wait for October and her return.

No comments:

Post a Comment