Monday, April 23, 2012

Blues In The Night

Blues In The Night has always been one of my favorite records (and I am talking vinyl and 45's long before CD's and iPods). For some reason the melody has been running through my mind today. Not sure why, but I think perhaps it has to do with getting sad news about three friends last week. One friend's husband has prostate cancer and will have surgery. One friend had to have a mastectomy last week just before moving out of her recently sold home on the 28th. The third friend has lung cancer and a number of other health issues putting him in the hospital and then to a rehab facility. All three individuals are much younger than I am, and I am struck once again by the seeming unfairness of life. About six weeks ago another younger friend suffered a massive stroke and has a long road to recovery ahead of her. I am so sorry that these misfortunes have befallen them because all of them are among the best people I have ever known. People of faith say that God does not give us any more than we can bear, and I am so hopeful that all of them and their families can bear these illnesses. Because we all live miles and miles apart, I am not able to help them in the ways I once could and would have. Instead I have placed them on prayer lists at various churches and asked my local friends and neighbors to pray for them as well. Today I saw my own doctor who said he does not need to see me for another year so I am once again reminded of my many blessings, and I am thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment