Saturday, November 16, 2013

ARE YOU ALWAYS A TEAM PLAYER? CHANGING YOUR LIFE WITH WORDS - DAY 171

The words "team player" are used a lot.........not only in sports but in business, in volunteer groups, in communities.  Often times I have thought that men would be more apt to be familiar with that term and to actually behave as team players because of growing up playing sports.  When I was growing up other than gym class there were few opportunities for girls to play sports.  Of course, that has all changed and girls are as active in sports as boys.  Hopefully, that will introduce them to being "team players."

In a family, marriage, business, or sports we are better off if we understand how to function as part of a team.  The responsibility for the success of anything is usually distributed among all of the participants.  It may not always be spread equally based on seniority, position held, or ownership but still members do share in the outcomes.

In my career I like to think I was a team player much of the time, but in truth there were times when the risks were great and the ultimate responsibility was mine.  In those instances I obtained feedback from all the various staff members and evaluated it before making a decision.  Sometimes I disagreed with their feedback and explained that it would be my "neck on the line" so while I respected their opinions I had decided to

DO IT MY WAY!

Remember that sometimes you also may need to do that.  It is not typical pulling rank but rather making a decision that if you are going down you are going down under your own decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment