Thursday, March 10, 2011

Old Friends

Today I had lunch with a couple whom I have known since we were all teenagers. Then she and I worked for the same company. They married first, and months later she held a surprise birthday party for her new husband. That evening he introduced me to one of his fraternity brothers whom I subsequently married. They had two children; we had two children. After our children were born for the most part we have lived in different states, but we always kept in touch. Birthay cards, Christmas cards, an occasional letter or phone call.........and now thanks to email we communicate frequently. They spend several months here in the desert every winter so again we can spend time together . Old friends are to be treasured for the common past we shared and the contributions made to each others' lives. We have been through a lot of "stuff" over the years, but whenever we have the chance to get together we seem to pick up right where we left off with no awkward silences. I wanted my children to experience the wonderful gift of old friends. I am happy that my son and his first friend met in Sunday School and are still friends today despite living on opposite sides of the world. Email is great, and SKYPE adds to the incredible ability to keep in touch. Is there an old friend with whom you would like to reconnect? Just do it! You'll be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment